To Apply: Submit your information online here or you can email it directly to Alexis Witherspoon, Recruitment & Retention Coordinator, at email@example.com. The email subject line should read Communications Intern.
The Communications internship should should contain the following information:
- Cover Letter
- 1-3 Writing Samples
The Communications internship will run August through December. For questions or concerns about the internship process, please contact Alexis Witherspoon at firstname.lastname@example.org or (859)288.4158.
Keeneland Association, the leader in Thoroughbred racing and sales, is seeking quality candidates for its Communications Internship. Communications is a medium to fast-paced environment which provides support for each of Keeneland’s core business segments – racing, sales, Keeneland Select and the Keeneland Gift Shop. The Communications Department is seeking an experienced intern for Fall 2015 to train and assist during two annual Sales, Fall Race Meet and the 2015 Breeders' Cup.
About the Internship
This internship will provide broad experience in communications, public relations, media relations and writing. Students will have the opportunity to work with social media, marketing, broadcast, sales and racing teams, and gain a greater understanding of Keeneland and the Thoroughbred industry.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Drafting press releases and assisting with various written press materials.
- Answering media requests for information/statistics.
- Compiling/updating media contact lists.
- Assisting with media credentials.
- Assisting notes team with compilation of daily barn notes; writing news items.
- Providing notes/content for Keeneland.com and images for use on Keeneland’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.
- Getting quotes from jockeys and trainers following daily stakes race.
- Drafting media advisories for on-track special events.
- Aiding staff with press box operations.
- Assisting with record-keeping; updating statistics.
- Helping to compile press kit information.
- Contributing content for daily barn notes as applicable.
- Getting quotes from major consignors/buyers during sale sessions.
- Copying and compiling press kits.
- Copying and distributing notes to media in press box.
- Currently enrolled as a junior or senior, or recently earned a degree in Journalism, Communications, Integrated Strategic Communications or a related field.
- Exceptional writing and communications skills; ability to work with diverse clients.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, familiarity with social networking sites.
- Organized with the ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments.
- Creative and flexible, a proven self-starter.
- Ability to lift, push, pull or carry up to 50 lbs.
- Willingness to follow Keeneland’s policies and procedures.
- Knowledge/experience in Thoroughbred industry preferred.