Let our experts help you handicap the day's races at Keeneland. To see the analysis provided by each handicapper, choose a handicapper name on the left, then choose a date.
Please note that selections typically are available about 48 hours in advance of the race.
Tom Leach is “the Voice of the Wildcats” for football and men’s basketball and a contributor to Keeneland.com as well. He is a two-time winner of the Eclipse Award for radio coverage of thoroughbred racing. During race meets, check out Keeneland’s You Tube channel for his trainer and jockey interviews ahead of major stakes races and listen for the weekly “In The Money” podcast with Tom and Jim Goodman at keenelandselect.com. You can follow Tom’s coverage of the Cats at tomleachky.com.
Thursday, October 29
(7) Winkatdawat ran a strong race over the track and also has 12 lifetime wins. Exacta box 7-6
(7) Battleback John was much improved in that last race here at Keeneland and turning back from nine furlongs is a positive angle for a horse being asked to run seven today. Exacta boxes 7-4, 7-8, 7-2
(3) Bold Shot has three wins in six tries this year and last time out, he was super impressive in winning over this Keeneland strip. Exacta boxes 3-1, 3-5, 3-2
(1) Union Jackson is facing winners for the first time but that 96 Beyer fig from the last race--over this track--is too hard to ignore. Exacta boxes 1-7, 1-5
(9) Cheryl D was purchased out of a two-year old sale earlier this year, from a hot sire, and the connections are looking for a quick return on the investment. The trainer picks his spots well with two-year olds and this one show sharp works. Exacta boxes 9-6, 9-4
(2) House of Sole ran well here opening day, earning a 90 Beyer figure, and that looks hard to beat in this spot. Keep an eye on (7) Tippany, as this trainer often wins a race or two each meet here, with limited starters. Exacta boxes 2-7, 2-3, 2-1
(5) Oil Strike drops out of a grade 1 race in which he ran pretty well. That effort produced a personal-best figure and it was over a soft turf, which he figures to get here. Exacta boxes 5-4, 5-2, 5-12
(3) Coastline is the pick in the Lafayette Stakes. He's 2-for-3 at Keeneland, 2-for-2 at 7 furlongs and is a first-time claim for a trainer with a strong record in that category. Exacta boxes 3-2, 3-5, 3-6
(7) Come as You Are goes for a hot barn, is working well here and had a sharp debut effort on dirt. Exacta boxes 7-9, 7-8, 7-4
Late Pick 4: 2,7 with 5,4,2 with 3,2,6 with 7,8