Let our experts help you handicap the day's races at Keeneland. To see the analysis provided by each handicapper, choose a handicapper name on the left, then choose a date.
Please note that selections typically are available about 48 hours in advance of the race.
Tom Leach is “the Voice of the Wildcats” for football and men’s basketball and a contributor to Keeneland.com as well. He is a two-time winner of the Eclipse Award for radio coverage of thoroughbred racing. During race meets, check out Keeneland’s You Tube channel for his trainer and jockey interviews ahead of major stakes races and listen for the weekly “In The Money” podcast with Tom and Jim Goodman at keenelandselect.com. You can follow Tom’s coverage of the Cats at tomleachky.com.
Friday, April 29
(5) Reality Is Great has his best Beyer in his last race and the shippers from the Fairgrounds have done well at this level.
(1) Lady Ann shows a good race over this track and it marked a sharp move forward in her Beyer figure pattern. Exacta boxes 1-3, 1-6
(6) A Band Apart drops from a tougher spot and gets Lanerie in the saddle, as he competes to win the riding title for the spring meet. Exacta boxes 6-2, 6-3, 6-1a
(5) Leonardo Da Vinci is consistent and trainer Mike Tomlinson wins at a 22 percent of this type of short layoff. This is a wide open race so the exacta play is a 4-horse box: 5-3-4-1/1a (and add 10 if your budget allows). It's a good race to have an exacta payoff of $50 or better.
(1) Mr Perseverance showed good speed before fading in the debut and I like horses to improve in the second start off that kind of running line. Picking up Castellano in the saddle is a big plus, too. The favorites look vulnerable in here so (3) Bird Song and (6) Zanotti are live shots at a price. Exacta box 1-3-6
(7) Stina had a big Beyer jump in the last start and comes off a nice win. Exacta boxes 7-6, 7-3
(7) Gimlet just missed in a grade 3 at Gulfstream and he shows two good local works for Pletcher. Exacta boxes 7-5, 7-10, 7-1, 7-6
(2) Spank made a big move forward in her third start and may be the controlling speed in here. Exacta boxes 2-3, 2-1
(6) Button Down just missed in a grade 1 last fall and then won a graded stake at Churchill on yielding turf, so the recent rain should not be an issue. And trainer Josie Carroll picks her spots well when coming to Keeneland. (7) Return to Grace is a dangerous longshot off solid three-year old form. Exacta boxes 6-7, 6-8, 6-5 (note for the Pick 4, I'll also add (10) Personal Diary and (12) Al's Gal from this race).
(5) Shoppingwithbill was caught wide last time and the Colebrook-trained horses have often outrun their odds at this meet. Exacta boxes 5-7, 5-1
Late Pick 4 (starts in 7th): 7 with 2,3,1 with 6,7,8,5,10,11 with 5,7,1