Let our experts help you handicap the day's races at Keeneland. To see the analysis provided by each handicapper, choose a handicapper name on the left, then choose a date.
Please note that selections typically are available about 48 hours in advance of the race.
Tom Leach is “the Voice of the Wildcats” for football and men’s basketball and a contributor to Keeneland.com as well. He is a two-time winner of the Eclipse Award for radio coverage of thoroughbred racing. During race meets, check out Keeneland’s You Tube channel for his trainer and jockey interviews ahead of major stakes races and listen for the weekly “In The Money” podcast with Tom and Jim Goodman at keenelandselect.com. You can follow Tom’s coverage of the Cats at tomleachky.com.
Saturday, April 23
(5) Steel Cut will be odds-on and I just can't find a reason to go against him here. Try (3) Cheray if you want to go for a price. Exacta box 5-3
(2) Muddbone Road should benefit from a race over this track and also making the second start off the layoff. He's run well here in the past, too. Exacta boxes 2-4, 2-6
(4) Assembly makes the second start for Mott and that's a good angle for that trainer--plus, it looks like he caught a good bunch in his debut race at Gulfstream. (2) Squeeze is worth a look as Clement can get one ready to fire first time out. Exacta boxes 4-3, 4-2, 4-5, 4-8
(8) Hollywood Talent makes a huge class drop and that would be a red flag if not for the fact that these connections love to win here and the fact that Johnny V takes the ride. Exacta boxes 8-3, 8-1
(3) Tizthesound ran well in his turf debut and gets a good post and he should be tough to beat. First-time starters (10) Creative Director and (11) Diamonds for Leah also bear watching in a race that might be short on strong contenders. Exacta boxes 3-10, 3-11, 3-8, 3-4
(6) Gateway to Gold caught a tough group in the debut and shows a sharp local work for this start. Exacta boxes 6-3, 6-4, 6-5
(5) Whiskey Bravo has three wins in a row and the trainer wins at a 22 percent rate with new claims. Jeremy Plonk always notes at Keeneland.com that posts 3-5 do really well in these full field turf sprints. Exacta boxes 5-4, 5-2, 5-3
(6) Linda was bet to 4-1 for the debut for a barn that doesn't win with hardly any first-time starters. She got a bad start but finished strong and might be dangerous here against the solid favorite (2) Lady Soul. Exacta boxes 6-2, 6-7
(2) Up With the Birds is the pick in the grade 2 Dixiana Elkhorn for trainer Graham Motion. I think this horse never quite got in sync last year so the break may have served him well. The 7-furlong work and putting Johnny V in the saddle signal a horse that is ready to fire and not prepping for later spots. Exacta boxes 2-7, 2-6, 2-1
(3) Only One Wish shortens up from longer races and trainer Joe Sharp does well on the turf-to-dirt angle. Exacta boxes 3-1, 3-2
Late Pick 4 (starts in 7th): 5,4,2 with 6,2 with 2,7,6,1 with 3,1,2