Let our experts help you handicap the day's races at Keeneland. To see the analysis provided by each handicapper, choose a handicapper name on the left, then choose a date.
Please note that selections typically are available about 48 hours in advance of the race.
Tom Leach is “the Voice of the Wildcats” for football and men’s basketball and a contributor to Keeneland.com as well. He is a two-time winner of the Eclipse Award for radio coverage of thoroughbred racing. During race meets, check out Keeneland’s You Tube channel for his trainer and jockey interviews ahead of major stakes races and listen for the weekly “In The Money” podcast with Tom and Jim Goodman at keenelandselect.com. You can follow Tom’s coverage of the Cats at tomleachky.com.
Thursday, October 15
(1) Fortun has some speed from the rail and drops in class. Also, trainer Eddie Kenneally has strong numbers with second-out starters. Exacta boxes 1-2, 1-5, 1-3
(5) Tizzy Be Hot has scored two of her three lifetime wins this year and also drops in class. Exacta box of 5-6-2-1
(2) Flowing is steadily improving and at 10-1, that's attractive in a field that lacks a standout. Also, the Romans' barn has been doing well at this meet. Exacta boxes 2-9, 2-5, 2-4, 2-3
(2) Smooth Caramel showed big improvement last time and the trainer hits at a 23 percent clip with new claims. Exacta boxes 2-5, 2-7, 2-1
(3) Epic Journey sold for 25 times the stud fee and has worked well on the deep track at Hawthorne. That's appealing given that none of the ones who have started have shown much. Exacta boxes 3-2, 3-4, 3-6
(5) Pumpkin Rumble got a 93 Beyer fig last time out and Cox scores at a 24 percent rate with newcomers to his barn. It's also worth noting that Lanerie rode this one at Cantebury and takes the mount here. Exacta boxes 5-10, 5-3, 5-1, 5-4
(4) Watershed stands out here on the drop from a fourth-place finish in a grade 1 at Saratoga. Hard to see this one getting beat in this spot. Exactas keying 4 over 2,5,8
(11) Charming Kitten gets the call in the grade 3 Sycamore Stakes. Toss the last start as he had trouble at the start. This one is 6-1 on the morning line and may improve in the third start off a layoff. (2) Da Big Hoss could be vulnerable at a short price, given how he performed in his one run over this turf course. Exacta boxes 11-1, 11-6, 11-8, 11-4
(4) Magical Connection ran well last time out at Saratoga and the runnerup came back to win. Exacta boxes 4-7, 4-8, 4-1
Late Pick 4: 5,10,3 with 4 with 11,1,6,8 with 4,7,8,1