Let our experts help you handicap the day's races at Keeneland.
Please note that selections typically are available about 48 hours in advance of the race.
Tom Leach is “the Voice of the Wildcats” for football and men’s basketball and a contributor to Keeneland.com as well. He is a two-time winner of the Eclipse Award for radio coverage of thoroughbred racing. During race meets, check out Keeneland’s You Tube channel for his trainer and jockey interviews ahead of major stakes races and listen for the weekly “In The Money” podcast with Tom and Jim Goodman at keenelandselect.com. You can follow Tom’s coverage of the Cats at tomleachky.com.
Friday, October 30
(7) Candip ran a 94 Beyer last time and he has run well at Keeneland. Exacta box 7-5, 7-2
(6) Mercer Mill Mae posted a strong Beyer fig last time and the trainer has done well here with limited starters Exacta boxes 6-7, 6-5, 6-9
(6) Texas Two Step has run well at Keeneland in the past and the trainer excels with layoff types. Exacta boxes 6-7, 6-4, 6-5
(9) Closing Bell just won at a mile and five sixteenths on less than firm turf and that strong current form can get this one home first in the Bryan Station Stakes. Exacta boxes 9-3, 9-2
(3) Race Day is 1-for-1 at Keeneland and is training well here. Also, the past Beyers of 109 and 105 would stack up well here. (11) Eagle is a dangerous price play as an improving 3-year old but not wild about the far outside post.. Exacta boxes 3-11, 3-5, 3-6
Race 6/BC Juvenile Turf
(8) Airoforce was very impressive in winning the Bourbon Stakes here and he did from a much worse post position. The best of the Euros drew poorly but don't overlook the well-drawn (4) Shogun. Exacta boxes 8-4, 8-14, 8-13, 8-5, 8-2
Race 7/BC Dirt Mile
(3) Liam's Map would have been one of the top three or four choices in the Classic so it's hard to see him losing in this spot. If Liam's Map does falter, (5) Lea is a dangerous price play, as the only other grade 1 winner in the field and beware (1) Red Vine on the rail, with the perfect post to sit behind the speed and pounce in the stretch Exacta boxes 3-5, 3-1, 3-7
Race 8/BC Juvenile Fillies Turf
(10) Illuminate got a 112 Racing Post number last time and now goes second-off-the-layoff. Also, the pedigree suggest she could like less-than-firm turf. (8) Harmonize is the one to beat. Exacta boxes 10-8, 10-2, 10-3, 10-9
Race 9/BC Distaff
(1) I'm a Chatterbox broke her maiden over this track and she's well drawn to have a great position under Geroux, either on the lead or just off it. She's been steadily improving and I'm betting Larry Jones will have her peaking today. (2) Frivolous and (3) Solama are longshots that can fill out the tri at big prices. Exacta boxes 1-8, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4
All Stakes Pick 4: 8,4,14,13,5,2 with 3,5 with 10,8,3,2,9 with 1
(1) For Greater Glory has run well here in the past and I like the inside post for this late runner. Use (4) Neck 'n Neck and (9) Majestic Harbor with the top pick in a 3-horse box. Exacta box of 1-9-4