Let our experts help you handicap the day's races at Keeneland.
Please note that selections typically are available about 48 hours in advance of the race.
Tom Leach is “the Voice of the Wildcats” for football and men’s basketball and a contributor to Keeneland.com as well. He is a two-time winner of the Eclipse Award for radio coverage of thoroughbred racing. During race meets, check out Keeneland’s You Tube channel for his trainer and jockey interviews ahead of major stakes races and listen for the weekly “In The Money” podcast with Tom and Jim Goodman at keenelandselect.com. You can follow Tom’s coverage of the Cats at tomleachky.com.
KEENELAND Wednesday, October 7
(10) Tusk caught tough fields in the first two races and the addition of blinkers produces a 21 percent win rate for trainer Motion. (5) Zulu Tango is a longshot play worth a look in here, too. Exacta boxes: 10-14, 10-7, 10-5, 10-2
(5) Cool Comfort has a pedigree that suggests dirt is no problem and the Ward horses have been running well thus far at Keeneland. Exacta boxes 5-4, 5-2, 5-3
(2) Bluegrass Beat drops in class and the second-off-the-layoff angle is a 25 percent strike rate for trainer Jones. Exacta boxes 2-3, 2-4, 2-1
(4) Robillard has won here already on the turf and the McLaughlin barn has sent out live runners thus far. And check the worktab--looks like this guy is ready. Exacta boxes 4-9, 4-7, 4-5
(6) Slan Abhaile was claimed out of a race at Saratoga by connections who love to win here so guessing this one is "live" and the two wins already this year is encouraging. Exacta boxes 6-5, 6-7
(8) Banree takes a big drop in class for Ward and this one is working lights out at Keeneland. Exacta boxes 8-5, 8-1, 8-2
(4) Harmonize is already a stakes winner and she showed big improvement in her second start. Anything close to that effort would be hard to beat here. Exacta boxes 4-7, 4-8, 4-6, 4-5
(3) Paring Gift took some money in the debut at Saratoga for a trainer not known for firing with first-time starters and that could mean a significant move forward this time out. I also like that Leparoux takes this mount. Exacta boxes 3-2, 3-8, 3-9, 3-6
Late Pick 4: 6,5,7 with 8 with 4,7,5,6,8 with 3,2,8,9,6