Let our experts help you handicap the day's races at Keeneland.
Please note that selections typically are available about 48 hours in advance of the race.
Tom Leach is “the Voice of the Wildcats” for football and men’s basketball and a contributor to Keeneland.com as well. He is a two-time winner of the Eclipse Award for radio coverage of thoroughbred racing. During race meets, check out Keeneland’s You Tube channel for his trainer and jockey interviews ahead of major stakes races and listen for the weekly “In The Money” podcast with Tom and Jim Goodman at keenelandselect.com. You can follow Tom’s coverage of the Cats at tomleachky.com.
Thursday, October 22
(1/1a) Red and White or Lonely Mission. Either half of the entry can win here but I like Red and White a little more, as he caught a tougher field in his debut. Both are dropping in class for an owner shooting for the title. Exacta boxes 1-5, 1-6
(2) Open Bar goes for a trainer who wins at a 20 percent rate with first-time starters and 25 percent when debuting at the maiden-claiming level. Exacta boxes 2-1/1a, 2-9
(3) Irish You Well drops out of graded stakes-caliber company and has three wins at this distance. Exacta boxes 5-3, 5-4, 5-1
(3) Tiz Madness is bred to relish the stretchout in distance and he improved in his first try on the turf. Exacta boxes 3-4, 3-1, 3-10
(3) Bemata turns back from nine furlongs and the trainer does well with new claims like this one. Exacta boxes 3-2, 3-1, 3-5
(8) Sound of Freedom has a good race over the Keeneland surface and makes the second start off a layoff. Exacta boxes 8-1, 8-9, 8-5, 8-2
(4) Tiz So Sweet shows two good efforts at Saratoga off a long, long layoff and this one has good speed while shortening up. That should be a winning formula at a short price. Exacta boxes 4-5, 4-2, 4-1
(3) Giant Deduction gets class relief in this spot and this one won at first asking and then had only one try against winners before going into stakes races. This step down should help produce a victory. Exacta boxes 3-2, 3-4, 3-1, 3-5
(9) Barrister Jim doesn't have the best post position but makes a massive class drop. Normally, that would be a bad thing but it could be a sign of Mr. Ramsey picking an easy spot for a win that could help his stable win another title here. Exacta box of 9-5-1-8
Late Pick 4: 8,9,5,1,2 with 4 with 3,4,2 with 9,5,1,8