Let our experts help you handicap the day's races at Keeneland.
Please note that selections typically are available about 48 hours in advance of the race.
Tom Leach is “the Voice of the Wildcats” for football and men’s basketball and a contributor to Keeneland.com as well. He is a two-time winner of the Eclipse Award for radio coverage of thoroughbred racing. During race meets, check out Keeneland’s You Tube channel for his trainer and jockey interviews ahead of major stakes races and listen for the weekly “In The Money” podcast with Tom and Jim Goodman at keenelandselect.com. You can follow Tom’s coverage of the Cats at tomleachky.com.
KEENELAND Saturday, October 3
(7) Freethinker comes off back-to-back lifetime best Beyer figs and I also like the turnback from a longer distance. Exacta boxes: 7-6, 7-2, 7-4
(8) Dan the Go to Man was well-bet in his debut and the trainer wins at 26 percent clip with second-time starters. Exacta boxes 8-2/2b, 8-6, 8-3
(4) Exodus may be the speed of the speed and is working very well. Also, the trainer wins at a 44 percent clip with these types of layoff runners. Exacta boxes 4-8, 4-1, 4-7
(3) Sky My Sky showed big improvement in the second start and the pedigree says this one will going longer in this spot. Exacta boxes 7-3, 7-10, 7-4
(13) Holy Lute will benefit from the run over that stamina-building course at Kentucky Downs and he's been first or second in six of eight starts on the grass. The connections are also lesser known around here which equals value on a live contender. Exacta boxes 13-6, 13-5, 13-3, 13-1
(3) Judy the Beauty is 4-for-4 at Keeneland and she's training lights out, so I'm betting she's ready to bring her 'A' game again. Exacta boxes 3-5, 3-6, 3-7
(5) Easter comes out of a second-place finish in a group 3 race in Europe and she's turning back from longer distances. Look for her to run them down late but this is a well-matched group. Exacta box of 5-11-7-1
(4) Gametown had a sensational work in preparation for this start and in a race that lacks a standout, I'll take a shot with a horse that might be ready to fire his best shot. This colt is still a maiden but Casse has won on this type of move more than once.. Exacta boxes 4-3, 4-7, 4-6
(12) Tourist got a stamina-building prep at Kentucky Downs and he may need this to make the field for the BC Mile so he'll be cranked up for his best effort. I also fear the Euro's in a race like this but I think Tourist has big-time talent. Exacta boxes 12-5, 12-2, 12-1, 12-13
(1) Lady Relanch gets the nod here because of the drop in class and the turnback from a longer distance but this one lacks a standout so don't get locked in on anybody. Exacta box of 1-4-6-9
Late Pick 4: 5,7,11 with 4,3,7 with 12,5,2,1 with 1,4,6