Let our experts help you handicap the day's races at Keeneland.
Please note that selections typically are available about 48 hours in advance of the race.
Tom Leach is “the Voice of the Wildcats” for football and men’s basketball and a contributor to Keeneland.com as well. He is a two-time winner of the Eclipse Award for radio coverage of thoroughbred racing. During race meets, check out Keeneland’s You Tube channel for his trainer and jockey interviews ahead of major stakes races and listen for the weekly “In The Money” podcast with Tom and Jim Goodman at keenelandselect.com. You can follow Tom’s coverage of the Cats at tomleachky.com.
KEENELAND Friday/October 2
(7) Defer Heaven is in good form and is also 2-for-2 on the Keeneland surface. Exacta boxes: 7-6, 7-5, 7-3
(1) Kalamos showed big improvement in the last race and horses coming off that Kentucky Downs course often have a fitness edge on their rivals. Exacta box: 1-2-5
(2) Attraction was bet down to 3-1 when debuting on Travers day at Saratoga, suggesting the connections are high on this colt. Now, he gets to do what he's bred to do--run long. Exacta boxes 2-6, 2-7, 2-10
(5) Gangster is the winner if he gets anywhere close to that 96 Beyer he ran two starts back. Also, trainer Pletcher wins at a 25 percent clip with horses making the second start off this kind of layoff. Exacta boxes 5-3, 5-6
(3) Conquest Windycity was made the favorite as a maiden in a grade 3 stake last time and he encountered tons of trouble right from the start. The way he battled through that trouble suggest he should be double-tough when back in here against maidens. Exacta boxes 3-8, 3-9
(5) Pinup showed big improvement when making his turf debut and the pedigree says he 'll love the added distance. Exacta boxes 5-9, 5-10, 5-3
(10) Enchantress drops out of grade 2 company and she should be very tough to beat here,where she has already had a winning race. Exacta boxes 10-4, 10-11, 10-12, 10-5
(8) Alsvid is the key horse for me in the grade 3 Stoll, Keenon, Ogden Phoenix Stakes. It's hard to pick between Work All Week and Runhappy so I'll go with a horse that has finished first or second in 21 of 32 starts and figures to be a nice price, given the lesser known connections. I'll key him with both favorites in exactas. Exacta boxes 8-12, 8-1
(8) Lookout Sister gets the nod in the grade 1 Darley Alcibiades for trainer Graham Motion. He's not known for debut winners yet this one was a first-out winner. Off that, Motion put her into a grade 2 stake at Saratoga. That didn't go well but she came back to win in allowance company and she should love the stretchout. Exacta boxes 8-9, 8-7, 8-3, 8-6
(2) Stately Oak drops in class here and anything close to that 76 Beyer two starts back would be hard to beat. Exacta box 2-3-4-8
Late Pick 4: 10 with 12,8,1 with 8,9,3 with ALL