Let our experts help you handicap the day's races at Keeneland.
Please note that selections typically are available about 48 hours in advance of the race.
Tom Leach is “the Voice of the Wildcats” for football and men’s basketball and a contributor to Keeneland.com as well. He is a two-time winner of the Eclipse Award for radio coverage of thoroughbred racing. During race meets, check out Keeneland’s You Tube channel for his trainer and jockey interviews ahead of major stakes races and listen for the weekly “In The Money” podcast with Tom and Jim Goodman at keenelandselect.com. You can follow Tom’s coverage of the Cats at tomleachky.com.
Sunday, October 11
(3) Chella has scored seven of his 12 lifetime wins this year and has won six in a row since being claimed. He's the pick to win this.
(6) Rare Medal goes for a trainer, Wesley Ward, whose horses have been running well thus far at this meet and Saratoga shippers are tough to beat in the fall here. Exacta boxes 6-1, 6-3
(6) Tarpy's Surprise runs for a claiming tag for the first time and the drop in class might be just the ticket to get this one into the winner's circle. The workout pattern is also encouraging. Exacta boxes 6-5, 6-2, 6-1
(6) Ransack is one of the few that Pletcher trains for the Ramseys and guessing this one is well-meant when showing up at this meet. It also helps that Ransack is bred to run long on the turf. But since this field is light on experience, we'll suggest a four-horse exacta box instead of keying on one horse. Exacta box of 6-9-7-1
(12) Miss Reditore is an eight-time winner and that last race suggests she has rediscovered her best form. It's a bad post but this is a weak field so perhaps she can overcome. Still, because of the post, we'll suggest another four-horse box instead of keying on the top pick. Exacta box of 12-7-4-9
(11) Synchrony ran well against a good field in the debut and he's the pick because of the value in a well-matched field but (3) Gametown merits serious respect in this spot. Key both horses on top in exactas: 11,3 with 3,4,7,11
(4) Mission Drive ran an 89 Beyer fig last time and this one has improved since moving to the grass. Exacta boxes 4-6, 4-14, 4-9
(6) Eagle makes the second start off a layoff, which often foreshadows improvement and the stretchout in distance will help this guy as well. Exacta boxes 6-7, 6-8, 6-5
(7) Nancy Ride is improving, encountered last time and now picks up one of the top local riders in Leparoux. Exacta boxes 7-6, 7-11, 7-4, 7-14
Late Pick 4: 11,3,7 with 4,6,14 with 6,7,10 with 7,6,11