Let our experts help you handicap the day's races at Keeneland.
Please note that selections typically are available about 48 hours in advance of the race.
Tom Leach is “the Voice of the Wildcats” for football and men’s basketball and a contributor to Keeneland.com as well. He is a two-time winner of the Eclipse Award for radio coverage of thoroughbred racing. During race meets, check out Keeneland’s You Tube channel for his trainer and jockey interviews ahead of major stakes races and listen for the weekly “In The Money” podcast with Tom and Jim Goodman at keenelandselect.com. You can follow Tom’s coverage of the Cats at tomleachky.com.
KEENELAND Sunday, October 4
(6) Lovely Mission drops in class and the connections love to win here. Exacta boxes: 6-3, 6-4, 6-8
(2) Rockstar Jam goes for a trainer that does well with layoff types and he drops in class in a weak field. Exacta boxes 2-4, 2-5, 2-8
(3) Bad Student showed big improvement last time out and the trainer wins at a 23 percent clip with newcomers to his barn. Exacta boxes 3-2, 3-1, 3-7
(5) Gaslamp made a big move forward in his turf debut and he's bred to like longer distances. Exacta boxes 5-7, 5-12, 5-6
(1) Mal Guapo made a big jump in his first start for trainer Cox and the trainer does well with layoff types. Exacta boxes 1-4, 1-3
(6) Oltre' Oro was claimed by the Ramseys at Saratoga, no doubt with this meet in mind and this one comes out of a race that produced a next-out winner. Exacta boxes 6-8, 6-9, 6-4
(4) Conquest Tiz One barely missed in his debut and trainer Casse wins at a 26 percent clip from with second-time starters. Exacta boxes 4-3, 4-5, 4-9, 4-11
(2) Sallisaw drops out of a grade 1 race and he's out of a Dynaformer mare and that Dynaformer bloodline performs well on this turf course. Camelot Kitten (9), Siding Spring (8) and Unbridled Daddy (5) are also worth a long look, so play a four-horse box. Exacta box of 2-8-9-5
(1) Lovely Maria loves Keeneland and her workouts suggest she's back on top of her game and she'll win the battle of the last two Kentucky Oaks winners. Exacta boxes 1-3, 1-4
(9) Miss Blossom makes her second start and that's a strong angle for this trainer, as is the drop to maiden-claiming company. Exacta boxes 9-1, 9-2, 9-10, 9-6
Late Pick 4: 4,3,5,9,11 with 2,4,5,8,9 with 3,4,1 with 9