Let our experts help you handicap the day's races at Keeneland.
Please note that selections typically are available about 48 hours in advance of the race.
Tom Leach is “the Voice of the Wildcats” for football and men’s basketball and a contributor to Keeneland.com as well. He is a two-time winner of the Eclipse Award for radio coverage of thoroughbred racing. During race meets, check out Keeneland’s You Tube channel for his trainer and jockey interviews ahead of major stakes races and listen for the weekly “In The Money” podcast with Tom and Jim Goodman at keenelandselect.com. You can follow Tom’s coverage of the Cats at tomleachky.com.
Saturday, October 17
(4) Lotta Attitude goes for a trainer who often drops in a horse or two in the fall meet to grab a win and one of the meet's top riders, Lanerie, signs on for the mount.
(4) Gallant Steed improved in the most recent start and the turf-to-dirt angle is a productive move for this trainer, as is second-off-the-layoff. Exacta boxes 4-6, 4-5
(7) Ultimatum beat almost half of the horses in a 10-horse field first-time out and those types often improve sharply next time out. Also,this one also shows a strong recent work. Exacta boxes 7-6, 7-4
(2) See Through turns back from a one-mile race and this one improved sharply in the latest outing. Exacta boxes 2-4, 2-5, 2-7
(8) Win with Tiz was well-bet in the debut and encountered some trouble, plus there are two sharp works since that outing. Exacta boxes 8-2, 8-3, 8-4
(2) Partly Mocha goes for a trainer who does well in turf sprints and there are two good, recent works on the tab as well. Exacta boxes 2-4, 2-3, 2-9
(1) Gun Runner beat a horse first-time out that came back to be one of the top choices in a grade one stake and the Asmussen two-year olds have been firing here. (5) Smart Moon is the one to beat so we'll play both on top in exactas. Exactas keying 1,5 with 1,2,4,5
(6) I'm Already Sexy is consistent as they come and has 9 lifetime wins, plus may have a pace advantage here. Exacta boxes 6-1/1a, 6-2, 6-3
(6) Ahh Chocolate won here in the spring and a conservative trainer moved right into a grade 2 stake, suggesting he thought she had big-time talent. After a failed turf experiment, she got a confidence-building allowance win and now goes back to a graded stake. At 15-1, I think she runs big here. Exacta boxes 6-2, 6-10, 6-10, 6-3
(5) Tanner's Popsicle got a 94 Beyer and beat a next-out winner last time. Exacta box 5-1, 5-2, 5-8
Late Pick 4: 1,5,2,4 with 6,1 with 6,2,1,10,3 with 5,1