LEXINGTON, KY (April 4, 2013) – Keeneland’s enhanced tailgating lot, dubbed “The Hill,” will take tailgating to a whole new level each Saturday during the spring meeting, with a variety of new amenities, including food trucks, Bluegrass concerts, a jumbo television screen and wagering options.
“We know our fans love to tailgate, and that it is part of what makes Keeneland special,” said Vince Gabbert, Keeneland Vice President and COO. “Our tailgate lot enhancements are aimed at making it easy and fun to enjoy a day at the races with friends and family.”
The Hill is located adjacent to the Keene Barn and Entertainment Cente r and easily accessed by using the Gate 1 entrance across from Man o’ War Boulevard or via Van Meter Road.
Food and activities will be provided from 11 a.m.-7 p.m. ET, each Saturday, including:
- Food trucks from the Bluegrass Food Truck Association are relocating from their usual downtown Lexington locations to Keeneland for tailgate Saturdays; 4-5 food trucks offering high-quality fare will be featured each Saturday until 7 p.m.;
- A free Bluegrass concert will be featured each Saturday from 5-7 p.m., presented in conjunction with Best of Bluegrass, a convergence of musicians, enthusiasts and community celebrating Bluegrass music and culture: Opening Saturday, April 6, Bluegrass Collectives; Toyota Blue Grass Day, April 13, Laurel River Line; and Saturday, April 20, Town Mountain;
- Clear Channel Radio will host remotes from noon-3 p.m.;
- A jumbo television screen so fans can watch all the live racing action;
- A number of wagering options for betting on live racing via wireless wagering and wagering terminals, as well as betting from your smart phone;
- A presence of Keeneland’s new roaming “betologists” to answer any of your betting questions; and
- Race day programs and general admission tickets available for purchase.
On Toyota Blue Grass Day, Saturday, April 13, Keeneland will host “ABRV at The Hill.” The interactive fan experience is the latest initiative from The Jockey Club’s new cross-country fan development initiative, America’s Best Racing (ABR). The ABR tour bus, dubbed the ABRV, and six brand ambassadors will bring the popular Racing 101 program to the tailgate lot.
That same day, Keeneland fans will have the opportunity to enjoy the Keeneland Double: a day at the races, including the Toyota Blue Grass, followed by the University of Kentucky’s Blue-White scrimmage football game at Commonwealth Stadium. Fans can park early in the day at Commonwealth Stadium, take a Lextran bus or trolley for $1 each way to Keeneland for the races and return to Commonwealth for the 7 p.m. kickoff. Lextran will have dedicated shuttles from 11:30 a.m.– 2:30 p.m. and from 4:25– 6:45 p.m. Riders will receive a $2 food voucher to use at the track.
Keeneland’s spring race meeting runs April 5-26; with racing Wednesdays through Sundays. First post is 1:05 p.m. ET.
Traffic Note: Please be aware that the Kentucky Department of Transportation is working on major improvements to Versailles Road/US 60 between New Circle Road in Fayette County and Bluegrass Parkway in Woodford County. As a result, Keeneland is urging its guests to allow extra time for their commute to the track. Click here for a map and further details.