Popular College Scholarship Day kicks off 16 days of racing; food trucks join amenities in enhanced tailgate lot
LEXINGTON, KY (April 2, 2013) – While Keeneland presents 16 days of world-class Thoroughbred racing from April 5-26, fans of all ages can celebrate spring with a jam-packed calendar of special events.
Headlining the fun are such favorites as College Scholarship Day, Sunrise Trackside, the Maker’s Mark Commemorative Bottle signing, an appearance by the Budweiser Clydesdales, a jockey autograph session and Military Appreciation Day.
On Saturdays, Keeneland is taking the tailgating experience to a whole new level. The official tailgate lot, dubbed “The Hill” and located adjacent to the Keene Barn and Entertainment Center, will feature a variety of food trucks, a Bluegrass concert series in conjunction with Best of Bluegrass, a jumbo television screen, wireless wagering and wagering terminals, and race-day programs and general admission tickets available for purchase.
On Saturday, April 13, Keeneland will offer fans the opportunity to enjoy the Keeneland Double: a day at the races, including the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (G1), followed by the University of Kentucky’s Blue White scrimmage football game at Commonwealth Stadium. Fans can park early in the day at Commonwealth Stadium, take a Lextran bus or trolley for $1 each way to Keeneland for the races and return to Commonwealth for the 7 p.m. ET kickoff. Lextran will have dedicated shuttles from 11:30 a.m.– 2:30 p.m. and from 4:25– 6:45 p.m. Riders will receive a $2 food voucher to use at the track.
These special events and more promise to make Keeneland’s 2013 spring season one of the most exciting ever.
Keeneland 2013 Spring Special Events Calendar
- Friday, April 5: College Scholarship Day on opening day draws thousands of students from colleges and universities in Kentucky and in neighboring states. Admission is free for full-time students, who can register in the College Zone in the North Terrace to win a $1,000 scholarship awarded after each of the day’s 10 races. The first 2,000 students to register will receive a free T-shirt courtesy of Kennedy Book Store in Lexington or a hat courtesy of Vineyard Vines. In the College Zone, students can enjoy music; free snacks by Qdoba, Raising Cane’s and Coke; photos by LexScene; and prize drawings after each race. The new Harry’s Handicapping Zone will offer tip sheets and a chance to win prizes. One student will win the opportunity to place a $500 bet on the feature race, the Transylvania Stakes (G3).
- Friday, April 5: The Keeneland Gift Shop Presents a trunk show with Vineyard Vines from 11 a.m.–6 p.m., featuring a new Derby collection and an exclusive Keeneland collection.
- Friday, April 5 and Saturday, April 6: The Keeneland Gift Shop Presents a designer hat trunk show from 9 a.m.–6 p.m. with couture milliner Jenny Pfanenstiel of Forme’ Millinery.
- Friday, April 5, 12, 19: Friday Pick 4 Presented by TVG. A $200,000-guaranteed pool will be offered on races 7-10.
- Friday, April 5, 12, 19: Friday Happy Hour. Fans are encouraged to stick around after the final race to enjoy live music and simulcast wagering at Happy Hour in the Mezzanine Bar.
- Saturdays, April 6, 13, 20: Sunrise Trackside offers activities for the entire family beginning at 7 a.m. with Breakfast With the Works, featuring a Southern-style breakfast and trackside commentary on Thoroughbreds as they train (until 8:30 a.m.); children’s activities in the Kids Club Corner (7-9 a.m.); an equine-related demonstration in the paddock (8:45 a.m.); walking tours of Keeneland (8:30-10:30 a.m.); photos with legendary bugler George “Bucky” Sallee in the paddock (11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.); a trackside handicapping seminar (11:30 a.m.); and a Q&A session with a Keeneland jockey in the paddock (12:05 p.m.).
- Saturdays, April 6, 13, 20: Tailgating on “The Hill.” Watch and wager on Keeneland’s live racing from the tailgate lot. Located adjacent to the Keene Barn and Entertainment Center, The Hill will feature a variety of food trucks, a jumbo television screen, wireless wagering and wagering terminals, and race-day programs and general admission tickets available for purchase. A concert series, held in conjunction with Best of Bluegrass, will feature The Bluegrass Collective (April 6), Laurel River Line (April 13) and Town Mountain (April 20).
- Wednesdays, April 10, 17, 24: Keeneland Handicapping Contest presented by Daily Racing Form. Register at Wagering Central. Entry fee is $10; 100% of fees are returned in prizes, with the top 10 handicappers qualifying to Keeneland’s Tournament of Champions in November. Winners of the Tournament of Champions receive an all-expense paid trip to Las Vegas to compete in the 2014 Coast Casinos Horseplayer World Series.
- Thursday, April 11, through Sunday, April 14: The Keeneland Gift Shop Presents a trunk show with hat milliner Christine A. Moore and Elizabeth McKay. Fans can meet these celebrity designers from 9 a.m.–6 p.m.
- Friday, April 12: Maker's Mark bottle signing will begin at 6:30 a.m. This year’s commemorative bottle celebrates University of Kentucky basketball great Dan Issel. Sales of the bottle will start April 5 at retail outlets throughout Kentucky, with proceeds benefitting UK HealthCare’s Gill Heart Institute. The Keeneland Gift Shop will host a Maker’s Mark Dipping Station on the first floor grandstand for fans to have special Keeneland and Maker’s Mark merchandise dipped from 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Friday, April 12 and Saturday, April 13: The Keeneland Gift Shop Presents a book signing with internationally acclaimed artist Peter Williams, author of Peter Williams Retrospective: Paintings and People Dear to Me, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. and 3-4 p.m.
- Saturday, April 13: “ABRV at The Hill.” The interactive fan experience is the latest initiative from The Jockey Club’s new cross-country fan development initiative, America’s Best Racing (ABR). The ABR tour bus, dubbed the ABRV, and six brand ambassadors will bring the popular Racing 101 program to the tailgate lot.
- Saturday, April 13: Keeneland Double. A day at the races features the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (G1) and is followed by the University of Kentucky’s Blue-White scrimmage football game at Commonwealth Stadium. Fans can park early in the day at Commonwealth Stadium, take a Lextran bus or trolley for $1 each way to Keeneland for a day at the races and return to Commonwealth for the 7 p.m. kickoff. Lextran will have dedicated shuttles from 11:30 a.m.–2:30 p.m. and 4:25 a.m.–6:45 p.m.
- Saturday, April 13: All Stakes Pick 4 presented by TVG. A $250,000 guaranteed All-Stakes Pick Four Presented by TVG features races 7-10, the Shakertown (G3), Madison (G3), Jenny Wiley (G1), and Toyota Blue Grass Stakes. Two Pick Five wagers will be offered: Early Pick Five on races 3-7 and a Late Pick Five on races 8-12.
- Sunday, April 14: Horses and Hope Pink Day. Fans are encouraged to wear pink to raise breast cancer awareness. Keeneland co-hosts Pink Day with Horses and Hope, First Lady Jane Beshear’s initiative to reach women working in Kentucky’s horse industry with education and mammography screening. Join survivors and supporters in the North Terrace for live music, a ladies-only handicapping contest, prize drawings and unique Pink Day activities. Prior to the races, a special luncheon sponsored by the First Lady, Kentucky Cancer Program, embry’s and WKYT-TVwill be held in the Keeneland Sales Pavilion.
- Wednesday, April 17 through Saturday, April 20: Budweiser Clydesdales. On Wednesday through Friday, fans can have their photo taken with a member of the world-famous team from noon – 1 p.m. at the South Grandstand entrance (weather permitting). On April 20, the Budweiser Clydesdales will appear on Keeneland’s main track between races.
- Friday, April 19: Jockey Autograph Signing. Meet retired jockeys and current Keeneland riders from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. adjacent to the paddock. Jockeys will sign items to benefit the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund.
- Friday, April 19 through Sunday, April 21: The Keeneland Gift Shop Presents a trunk show by Dorfman Pacific from 11 a.m –6 p.m.
- Sunday, April 21: Military Appreciation Day Presented by Windstream. Active and inactive members of the military and their families receive free general admission with a military ID at any pass gate. The North Terrace will be transformed into the Military Family Zone with free food, live music and activities. Because April is the Month of the Military Child, Keeneland will have special giveaways and activities for children in the Military Family Zone from noon-4 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 24: United Way Day. Keeneland will donate a portion of the day’s gate receipts to the United Way of the Bluegrass.
- Thursday, April 25: TVG Hat Giveaway. The first 1,000 patrons with paid admissions through the gates will receive a voucher for a free TVG hat.
- Friday, April 26: Concert on the Lawn. Join us on the Clubhouse Lawn immediately following the day’s races for a free concert by Changes In Latitudes, a premier Jimmy Buffet tribute band, hosted by the Markey Cancer Foundation Legacy Council.