September Sale Produces Nearly 200 Stakes Winners, 83 Grade/Group Victors in 2012
LEXINGTON, KY (Aug. 1, 2012) – Keeneland has cataloged 3,604 horses for its 2012 September Yearling Sale, to be held September 10-21.
Recognized as the world’s most prestigious Thoroughbred auction house, Keeneland has sold more champions and stakes winners than any other sales company. The September Sale has produced nearly 200 stakes winners to date in 2012, headlined by 83 graded/group stakes winners.
September Sale graduates include:
- The winners of five of the past six Triple Crown races (I’ll Have Another, Animal Kingdom, Shackleford and Ruler On Ice);
- Four of the past five Horses of the Year (Havre de Grace, Zenyatta and Curlin [twice]);
- Champions Gio Ponti and My Miss Aurelia;
- 2011 Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1) winner Drosselmeyer; and
- Such Grade/Group 1 winners as Paynter, Bodemeister, Game On Dude, Dullahan, Elusive Kate, Believe You Can, To Honor and Serve, Testa Matta, Tizway, Court Vision, Dream Ahead, California Memory, Liaison, Stephanie’s Kitten, Regally Ready, Grace Hall, Daisy Devine, Contested, Zaidan, Zazu, Ultimate Eagle, Take Charge Indy, Drill and Creative Cause, among others.
This global star power annually attracts the world’s deepest buying bench to Keeneland, with participating horsemen representing nearly every U.S. state and 50 countries.
“Our record speaks for itself – the September Sale is world-renowned for offering unique and extraordinary individuals at every level of the market,” said Keeneland Vice President of Sales Walt Robertson. “And being the largest Thoroughbred sale, it is the barometer of the health of the Thoroughbred industry.”
For 2012, Keeneland has further “tightened” the September Sale format based on continued feedback from consignors and buyers. The format will be as follows:
- Book 1 is a select sale of 132 yearlings scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. ET, Monday, September 10. Book 2, to be held Tuesday – Thursday, September 11-13, will offer 915 yearlings (305 per day). Sessions begin at 11 a.m. daily. Book 1 and Book 2 will comprise a single catalog.
- Friday, September 14, will be a “dark” day in which no selling will take place.
- Book 3 begins Saturday, September 15; sessions start at 10 a.m. daily through remainder of the sale.
“We believe this schedule fits the needs of our horses and our sellers perfectly,” Robertson said. “The tweaks are designed to better serve our clients in terms of convenience and efficiency.”
The success of last September’s sale was spurred by active trade and consistency throughout both sale weeks, resulting in an exceedingly high clearance rate of nearly 80 percent. This year’s catalog is similarly structured, with quality consignors and horses by established stallions found through the final Book 6 of the sale.
“Very simply, the catalog reflects the reduction in the size of the foal crop,” said Director of Sales Geoffrey Russell. “The reduction in the size of the catalog chiefly comes from the latter days of the sale, which is where it should come from. Breeders and consignors are to be commended for doing a very good job of breeding the right mares, and for making the difficult decision not to breed those mares that cannot produce a commercially viable foal.”
A hallmark of the September Sale is the depth and breadth of its stallion roster, with yearlings representing many of the world’s most fashionable sires. In 2012, yearlings by 239 stallions have been cataloged.
Highlighting the first week’s offerings will be 15 yearlings from the final crop of champion sire A.P. Indy, including nine which are cataloged in the opening select session.
Other top sires of yearlings cataloged in Book 1 are Bernardini, Broken Vow, Candy Ride (ARG), Curlin, Danehill Dancer (IRE), Distorted Humor, Divine Park, Dixie Union, Dynaformer, Elusive Quality, Empire Maker, Galileo (IRE), Giant’s Causeway, Hard Spun, Henrythenavigator, Indian Charlie, Kitten’s Joy, Lemon Drop Kid, Malibu Moon, Medaglia d’Oro, Montjeu (IRE), Mr. Greeley, Pulpit, Sea the Stars (IRE), Smart Strike, Speightstown, Street Cry (IRE), Tapit, Tiznow, Unbridled’s Song, War Front and Zensational.
Yearlings representing such established sires as Arch, Awesome Again, Duke of Marmalade (IRE), Invincible Spirit (IRE), Pivotal (GB), Raven’s Pass and Shamardal, are cataloged in September, as are yearlings by such promising freshman sires as Colonel John, Conduit (IRE), Dunkirk, Einstein (BRZ), Kodiak Kowboy, Old Fashioned, Pioneerof the Nile, Pyro and U.S Ranger.
Of the total 3,604 yearlings cataloged, 1,852 are colts, 1,750 are fillies and 2 are geldings.
Beginning Tuesday, August 7, September Sale catalogs will be available on Keeneland’s website at www.keeneland.com and on the Equineline Sales Catalog app for the iPad, which can be downloaded free from the App Store on iPad or at iTunes. Print catalogs will be mailed the week of August 20.
A colt by A.P. Indy out of Malka, now named Powerful, topped the 2011 September Sale, selling for $1.4 million to a partnership that included John and Jerry Amerman and Robert ‘Shel’ Evans (see sale video). Consigned by Hill ‘n’ Dale Sales Agency, agent, the colt is from the family of Kentucky Derby (G1) winner Super Saver.
Keeneland will provide live coverage of the entire 12-day sale on www.keeneland.com.