You are here


The Spring Meet brought the introduction of the alpha-numeric message board located at ground level in front of the infield tote board.
During the Fall Meet, Keeneland became the first Thoroughbred track in America to use the Visumatic Timer (which posted the various fractions and final clocking on the tote board).


The Breeders' Sales Co. was dissolved, and Keeneland Association took over the business of selling horses.
March 22
Hal Price Headley, one of Keeneland's founders, died of a heart attack.


The Spring Meet marked the return of 1 1/16-mile races, which hadn't been run at Keeneland since the finish line was relocated in the fall of 1953. An alternate finish line was installed at the sixteenth pole.
Soon after the Spring Meet ended, work began to link the clubhouse and grandstand. 


Kelso, five-time Horse of the Year (1960-1964), appeared at Keeneland the day before the Blue Grass Stakes as part of his tour of American tracks. Proceeds from his appearances went for equine research.
Foreign purchases at all of Keeneland's sales in 1965 went over the million-dollar mark ($1,019,725) for the first time in history. 


Jan. 1
James E. "Ted" Bassett III joined the Keeneland family as an assistant to president Louis Lee Haggin II.


Keeneland Association, Inc. 4201 Versailles Road
Lexington, Kentucky 40510
Telephone: (859) 254-3412 Toll Free: (800) 456-3412 Fax: (859) 255-2484

©1999-2015 Keeneland Association, Inc. All Rights Reserved