Dams of two Eclipse Awards Finalists to be Offered
Keeneland’s January Horses of All Ages Sale, which has cataloged the dams of two 2019 Eclipse Awards finalists in Inflamed and Meets Expectations, begins Monday at 10 a.m. ET with the first of five sessions. The sale, which includes broodmares, broodmare prospects, yearlings and horses of racing age, runs through Friday, Jan. 17.
Highlighting opening day are such supplements as:
- Grade 2 winner Stormy Embrace (Hip 398J), cataloged as a broodmare prospect.
- Meets Expectations (Hip 398L), dam of World of Trouble, a 2019 Grade 1 winner on dirt and turf. World of Trouble is a finalist for an Eclipse Award as champion male sprinter and champion male turf horse. Meets Expectations is in foal to Uncle Mo.
Tuesday’s second session includes these supplements:
- Grade 1- and Grade 2-placed Enaya Alrabb (Hip 795D), cataloged as a broodmare prospect.
- Inflamed (Hip 795E), dam of Grade 1 winner Mo Forza, a finalist for a 2019 Eclipse Award as champion male turf horse. She is in foal to Tapiture.
- Pomeroys Pistol (Hip 795K), dam of 2019 Los Alamitos Futurity (G2) winner Thousand Words.
With a total of 29 supplemental entries, the January Sale has cataloged a grand sum of 1,856 horses: 804 yearlings, 797 broodmares and broodmare prospects, 197 racing or broodmare prospects, 28 racing or stallion prospects, 27 racing prospects, one stallion, one stallion prospect and one lifetime breeding right to Court Vision. He is the sire of 2019 TVG Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (G1) winner Storm the Court, a finalist for the Eclipse Award as champion 2-year-old male.
The entire January Sale will be streamed live on Keeneland.com. TVG2 will present live coverage of Book 1 on Jan. 13-14 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and again for the first session of Book 2 on Jan. 15 from noon to 2:30 p.m.
Covering Sires and Sires of Yearlings
Broodmares cataloged to the January Sale are in foal to 151 new and established stallions, while yearlings in the catalog represent 152 stallions
Covering sires include Accelerate, Always Dreaming, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Bernardini, Bolt d’Oro, Candy Ride (ARG), City of Light, Collected, Constitution, Curlin, Distorted Humor, Empire Maker, Frosted, Ghostzapper, Gun Runner, Honor Code, Into Mischief, Justify, Kitten’s Joy, Malibu Moon, Medaglia d’Oro, More Than Ready, Nyquist, Palace Malice, Pioneerof the Nile, Quality Road, Runhappy, Tapit, Tiznow, Uncle Mo and Union Rags.
Among the sires of yearlings are such stallions as American Pharoah, Arrogate, Bernardini, Candy Ride (ARG), Classic Empire, Constitution, Curlin, Distorted Humor, Empire Maker, Ghostzapper, Gun Runner, Honor Code, Into Mischief, Kitten’s Joy, Lemon Drop Kid, Liam’s Map, Malibu Moon, Mastery, More Than Ready, Nyquist, Palace Malice, Quality Road, Runhappy, Tapit, Tiznow, Uncle Mo, Union Rags and War Front.
The January Sale has produced a number of successful runners. Prominent 2019 stakes winners sold as yearlings at the auction include Grade 2 winners Catholic Boy (Dixie), Lazy Daisy (Pocahontas) and Toinette (Goldikova) and Grade 3 winnersCutting Humor (Sunland Park Derby), Mr Dumas (Commonwealth Turf), Mucho Gusto (Robert B. Lewis, Lazaro Barrera and Affirmed) and Zuzanna (Red Carpet).
Additional graded stakes winners of 2019 who were offered at the January Sale as older horses are Beau Recall (IRE), winner of the Churchill Distaff Turf Mile (G2) and Yellow Ribbon (G2), and Bellavais, winner of the Marshua’s River (G3).
January Sale Media Resources
January Sale video and still photos are available on Keeneland’s FTP site for editorial use. The site will feature sale ring video and photos of top-priced horses; photos of consignors, buyers and notable personalities; sale b-roll and scenic shots.
Access to the FTP site does not require a username or password. Simply click here to open the 2020 January Sale folder.
Photos and video are intended for editorial, noncommercial use only. Please credit as “Keeneland photo” or “Keeneland video.”
Keeneland will provide the following coverage of the January Sale:
- Click here for the 2020 January Sale Media Kit.
- Visit Keeneland.com and social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) for sales news.
- Throughout the sale, timely updates about top-priced horses will be posted on Keeneland.com and on Keeneland’s social media platforms.
- Press releases on each of the five sessions will be distributed daily via email and posted on Keeneland.com.