LEXINGTON, KY (June 19, 2017) – A number of horses sold at Keeneland and/or raced or trained here are in England to compete during the prestigious Royal Ascot meet, which begins Tuesday and runs through Saturday.
More than 20 horses with Keeneland connections are slated to compete, led by Keeneland-based Lady Aurelia, who won last year’s Queen Mary (G2) at Royal Ascot and was named the European champion 2-year-old filly. Trained by Wesley Ward, Lady Aurelia sold for $350,000 at Keeneland’s 2015 September Yearling Sale and won her career debut in April 2016 at Keeneland. She won Keeneland’s Giant’s Causeway (L) on April 15 in her first start in 2017.
Two other Royal Ascot runners also captured stakes during Keeneland’s 2017 Spring Meet: Maker’s 46 Mile (G1) winner American Patriot and Appalachian (G3) Presented by Japan Racing Association winner La Coronel. Both are alumni of Keeneland sales.
Notable horses with Keeneland connections scheduled to compete at Royal Ascot include:
Tuesday, June 20
Queen Anne (G1) at 9:30 a.m. ET:
- WinStar Farm’s homebred American Patriot won Keeneland’s Maker’s 46 Mile (G1) on April 14 for trainer Todd Pletcher. The 4-year-old son of War Front was offered at Keeneland’s 2014 September Yearling Sale.
- Miss Temple City, offered as a yearling at Keeneland’s 2013 January Horses of All Ages Sale, won the 2016 Maker’s 46 Mile and Shadwell Turf Mile (G1) here for trainer Graham Motion. The 5-year-old Temple City mare races for The Club Racing, Needle In A Haystack and Sagamore Farm.
Coventry (G2) at 10:05 a.m.:
- Godolphin’s Aqabah sold at the 2016 September Sale.
- Michael B. Tabor, Mrs. John Magnier and Derrick Smith’s Arawak is based at Keeneland with Ward. The 2-year-old Uncle Mo colt won his career debut at Belmont Park on May 26.
- Smith, Magnier and Tabor’s Murillo sold as a weanling at the 2015 November Breeding Stock Sale.
King’s Stand (G1) at 10:40 a.m.:
- Stonestreet Stables, George Bolton and Peter Leidel’s Lady Aurelia sold at the 2015 September Sale. Lady Aurelia won her career debut in April 2016 at Keeneland and won Keeneland’s Giant’s Causeway (L) on April 15 in her first start of 2017.
Windsor Castle (L) at 12:35 p.m.:
- Magnier, Tabor and Smith’s Declarationofpeace sold at the 2015 November Sale for $2.6 million, the second-highest price for a weanling colt in November Sale history.
- Hat Creek Racing’s Elizabeth Darcy (IRE), based at Keeneland with Ward, won her career debut on May 24 at Indiana Grand.
- Hat Creek Racing’s Nootka Sound sold at the 2016 September Sale. She won her career debut at Keeneland on April 27 for Ward.
Wednesday, June 21
Jersey (G3) at 9:30 a.m.:
- Smith, Magnier, Tabor and Stonestreet Stables’ Spirit of Valor sold at the 2014 November Sale.
- Tabor, Smith and Magnier’s Whitecliffsofdover sold at the 2015 September Sale.
Queen Mary (G2) at 10:05 a.m.:
- Merriebelle Stable, Tabor, Smith and Magnier’s’s Happy Like a Fool, a 2-year-old daughter of Distorted Humor, won her career debut for Ward on April 9 at Keeneland.
- Mrs. Susan Roy’s Missy Mischief sold at the 2016 January Sale and 2016 September Sale.
Sandringham (L) at 12:35 p.m.:
- The Hon. J.M. Corbett and C. Wright’s Cheval Blanche sold at the 2014 November Sale.
- Hat Creek Racing’s Con Te Partiro, a stakes-placed runner trained by Ward, sold at the 2015 September Sale.
Norfolk (G2) at 9:30 a.m.:
Waterford Stable’s McErin, trained by Ward, won his career debut at Keeneland on April 12 and was third in the Kentucky Juvenile on May 4 at Churchill Downs.
Hampton Court (G3) at 10:05 a.m.:
- Abdullah Saeed Al Naboodah’s Rodaini sold at the 2015 September Sale.
Gold Cup (G1) at 11:20 a.m.:
- Tabor, Smith, Magnier and L.J. Williams’ multiple Group 1 winner Order of St George (IRE), an English and Irish highweight, sold at the 2013 September Sale.
Albany (G3) at 9:30 a.m.:
- Tabor, Smith and John Magnier’s Fairyland, also trained by Ward, sold at the 2016 September Sale. She won her career debut at Keeneland on April 7.
- Stonestreet Stables’ Princess Peggy, trained by Ward at Keeneland, won her May 25 career debut at Belmont Park.
- Phoenix Thoroughbred Limited’s Take Me With You sold as a weanling at the 2015 November Sale.
Commonwealth Cup (G1) at 10:40 a.m.
- Bound for Nowhere, owned and trained by Ward, sold at the 2015 September Sale and won a Keeneland allowance on April 20 in his last start.
Coronation (G1) at 11:20 a.m.
- La Coronel, offered at Keeneland’s 2014 November Sale, won the Appalachian (G3) Presented by Japan Racing Association at Keeneland on April 13. Mark Casse trains her for John C. Oxley.
Chesham (L) at 9:30 a.m.:
- Mrs. Doreen Tabor’s Match Maker (IRE) was offered at the 2016 September Sale.
Wolferton (L) at 10:05 a.m.:
- Mohammed Jaber’s Dragon Mall sold at the 2014 September Sale.
Diamond Jubilee (G1) at 11:20 a.m.
- Wachtel Stable, George J. Kerr and Gary Barber’s Grade 3 winner Long On Value worked at Keeneland on April 28 for trainer Bill Mott. He was third in the 2015 Maker’s 46 Mile.