Founded By Horsemen
Since opening in October 1936, Keeneland has been unique in the Thoroughbred industry. Only at Keeneland are world-class racing and industry-leading sales united under one mission-driven entity.
Today, Keeneland continues to be guided by its original mission, taking a leadership role in the industry to improve safety, promote integrity and strengthen the sport of racing.
A Global Leader in the Thoroughbred Industry
Keeneland is the world’s largest and most prominent Thoroughbred auction house and hosts world-class racing twice annually during its boutique Spring and Fall meetings. Owners, trainers, riders and fans from all over the world travel to Lexington each year to participate at Keeneland.
APRIL & OCTOBER RACE MEETS
40 graded stakes worth $10.1 million
January, April, September and November
annual total sales
countries represented by buyers and sellers
A Commitment to Reinvestment
Keeneland’s mission to perpetuate the sport of racing continues more than eight decades after its founding, as profits from Keeneland racing and sales are returned to the industry and community through initiatives such as:
- Racing purses – Over the past 7 years, nearly $40 million has been contributed by Keeneland sales above what is required per horsemen agreements to fund one of the richest purse structures in North America.
- Global market development – Keeneland is committed to the growth of the Thoroughbred industry and the buying bench at its auctions and actively travels to numerous foreign countries and invests hundreds of thousands of dollars annually to expand the marketplace.
- Industry initiatives – Keeneland proudly supports safety initiatives and equine organizations and is an advocate for Thoroughbred aftercare to improve the health of the industry. In the past 5 years, Keeneland has contributed nearly $1.5 million to the Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance alone.
- Fan development – Keeneland is committed to the growth of the industry’s fans and future participants. Each race meet creates racing fans of all ages, exemplified by the 10,000 members of the Keeneland Kids Club which exceeds. Enthusiastic crowds underscore Keeneland’s commitment to fan development.
- Local community – Proudly serving as a leader in Central Kentucky, Keeneland is committed to the community. This community activism began with Keeneland founders and continues to this day. Keeneland has donated millions to local charities, as well as to health and educational programs. Intended as a gathering place for the local community, Keeneland hosts hundreds of charitable and private events annually.
Meet our partners.
Giving back to our community.
Get in touch with the Keeneland team.
Subscribe for the latest news and events.
Join the Keeneland Team
Keeneland is one of the most unique, exciting places to work in Central Kentucky, and we’re always looking for new faces to join our team. Keeneland offers full-time, part-time and seasonal race meet employment, as well as spring and fall internships for students.
Keeneland's Executive Staff
Guiding Keeneland's future, the Thoroughbred industry and our community.
President and Chief Executive Officer
Shannon Bishop Arvin serves as Keeneland’s 8th President and CEO.
Vice President of Racing
Gatewood Bell joined Keeneland in February 2021 and serves as Vice President of Racing.
Dr. Stuart Brown
Vice President of Equine Safety
Dr. Brown joined Keeneland in 2020 and serves as Keeneland's Vice President of Equine Safety.
Vice President of Sales
Tony Lacy joined Keeneland in 2021 as Vice President of Sales.
Vice President, Chief Information Officer
Brad Lovell joined Keeneland in June 2009 as Director of Information Technology.
Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer
Christa Marrillia joined Keeneland in 2003 and serves as the company’s Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer.
Managing Director of Keeneland Hospitality
With more than 25 years of culinary experience, Chef Marc believes in simple food with good technique while using locally sourced product.
Chief of Staff
Kari West joined Keeneland in 2012 and serves as Chief of Staff.